Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Hola, mi nombre es Cookie!

 
Buenos días mis amigos!
 
 
Can you believe it?  Krumbs and I are learning Spanish!  Well, I'm learning Spanish in school this year and Krumbs is learning Spanish because I'm learning Spanish--see, it all works!  Teaching Spanish in my grade is something new in my school district and my class and my "cool and creative teacher" is leading the way!!!
 
"HOLA, MI AMIGA!" my teacher said with a smile.  I gave her a wave and then looked at my friends for a clue to what had happened to my teacher.  They smiled back at me and I sat down.  That's when I noticed the sweet, spicy smell wafting through my classroom.  It smelled like-could it be? CHOCOLATE...some kind of spicy, sweet chocolate.  My mouth watered with anticipation.  No doubt, my teacher had my full attention! 
 
"Boys and Girls, this year we will begin a study of Spanish," she said with a smile.  "We will learn the Spanish alphabet, vocabulary words, numbers, colors, and how to greet one another. If you work hard and learn with me, you have the chance to sample some tasty treats from Spanish-speaking countries!"
 
Our first lesson was on the Spanish alphabet.  We learned the coolest version of the Spanish ABC Song!  It was a chant and it moved really fast.  I had to listen to it about twenty times before I could actually sing it with the video (and I still kind of mess it up sometimes, but I'm practicing).   Click Here if you would like to hear the Spanish Alphabet Song.
 
Are you wondering about our "tasty treat"?  We listened very carefully.  We worked very hard.  We sang and sang and sang.  Our reward for the effort was fantastic!  We had Mexican Hot Chocolate-mmm, mmm, mmm!  Check out the recipe for this sweet, spicy, terrific taste sensation below, but ASK AN ADULT FOR HELP BEFORE TURNING ON THE STOVE:
 
Mexican Hot Chocolate
 
1/2 cup boiling water             1 packet hot chocolate mix                 1 tsp. chocolate syrup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon     1 tiny pinch of chili powder                1/2 cup milk
 
Mix hot chocolate mix, chocolate syrup, ground cinnamon and chili powder into the boiling water.
 
Mix until the powders dissolve.
 
Pour in the milk and stir it up.
 
Pour the Mexican Hot Chocolate into a cup and enjoy!
 
HELPFUL HINT:
The chili powder can be really spicy so make sure you only add a teeny-tiny pinch at first!
 
I hope you like the recipe!  Krumbs and I savored it while we checked out Laura Aldir-Hernandez's article "Spanish Tips That Work" on the Cafe.  She gives great tips on how to learn Spanish...check it out!
 
Are you learning something completely new this year?  How do you feel about it?  Do you like learning new things or does learning something new give you that shaky feeling in your gut?  (We admit it~having some Mexican Hot Chocolate melted all our shaky feelings right away!)
 
Check back with us soon!  Hasta la vista!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment