Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This Week I'm a "People Watcher"

Good Morning Everyone.

Have you ever had a week when everything goes wrong?  My week has kind of gone like this: I get up late, miss the bus, forget assignments and, worst of all, spend recess alone because my friends seem too busy with each other to spend time with me.  That’s the story of my life this week and it’s not such a great story.

Thank goodness for good books and my trusty friend, Krumbs.  During recess, my book is my best friend and at home, I have Krumbs.  I admit school has been a little lonely this week, but I’ve found myself doing an awful lot of people watching. 

Body Language is a way of communicating through actions, gestures and body movements, instead of through words.  I’m amazed by the things I’ve learned about people while sitting on a bench at recess.  I know, for instance, that the girl who says she didn’t tell her friend’s secret is probably lying.  How do I know?  Well, when she talked about it her voice got higher, she kept rubbing her eyes and she couldn’t keep her feet still.  According to “You Don’t Say” by Julie Musil, these are all signs that someone is lying.

There are other handy tricks too.  Have you noticed the kids who know the answer in class are usually the ones sitting straight, raising their hands and making eye contact, while the ones who don’t are usually scrunched down, staring at the desk and trying to disappear into thin air?  It’s body language, pure and simple!  The article had lots of information about those nonverbal cues and I’m learning every one. 

Having all this new information is kind of cool and I’m thinking maybe today, I’ll share it with some of my friends at recess.  I bet they’ll be as fascinated as I am and maybe then we can all “people watch” together!  Check out the Café and read “You Don’t Say” by Julie Musil and maybe you can be a “people-watcher” too.

Have a great week and check back soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment